Propellerhead Software
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2012-12-05, 05:25

Smile The Chord Machine!!

Something i really think reason could use either as part of 7 or (preferably) as a rack extension, is a chord input device. Something that has scales and chords available at the click of a button, or the push of a key. Maybe something similar to Steinbergs Chorder (but i know Propellerhead could create something waayy better), I searched the forum to see if anyone else had suggested this and was surprised to find no one had (or if they have - i couldn't find it) so i thought i'd suggest it - i imagined something along the lines of the matrix pattern sequencer but for chords, so you could input chords and switch between patterns to come up with interesting chord progressions, or even just something simpler that has drop down scales to choose from and when you strike a key on your midi key board it plays the chord equivalent! Then once you have your chord progression you can attach it to reasons arp via cv and create instant melodies that match. I Really think a large percentage of reason uses would use this, as all of the people i know who use reason aren't trained musicians - but even if you are, this is something that could still be used to inspire and create easily! and after all isnt that why we use reason : )
If the thought of a chord Machine interests you - leave a comment : ) i personally would put this before any fancy new synth or effect (because we already have those tools available,) chords are a huge part of making any genre of music, we have tools for rhythm (redrum,rex,kong) and groove (regroove mixer)so thats our beat sorted, but here is where we miss a step - before we start on melodies(arp) and bass lines(matrix)- we could use something to help with chord input/progression(anyways i'm waffling on, you get the picture - please comment if you agree!)