Propellerhead Software
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2013-01-02, 05:06

Old Skool Rave Sounds

I'm into the old skool rave tunes of 89-94, amongst many other types of music, but I've been looking for ways to get the sounds and effects from that era. Does anybody know if you can get, or create, sounds like the ones used in tunes by the likes of Shades of Rhythm, Altern8, Bizarre Inc, PKA or Prodigy? I've also been trying to find out how to get the keyboard sound used in Brazil - Spectrum from 1990, also used in Prodigy's 'Your Love'. Some of the sounds I gather were from a Roland Alpa Juno Polyphonic Synth, also Roland TB-303 I think, also Roland W30 Sampling Workstation, and drums were made from the Roland TR-808 Drum Machine, maybe others as well. Also, Reason aside, can anyone explain to me how the artists mentioned above were able to create the tunes, before computers came along. Were they programmed into the keyboards and then played back, or were they playing freestyle so to speak. They must have used the synths and drum machines and recored them somehow, then edited or manipulated them somehow and added effects. I find it amazing how they achieved such uplifting tunes. Very creative. Nothing compares. Some of them tracks give me goosebumps. Check out Temperatures Rising and Let Me Hear You Say Yeah by PKA on You Tube, also JJ Tribute by Asha or Playing With Knives by Bizarre Inc. Is there a ReFill with any of these sounds recreated, if not, there should be.