Propellerhead Software
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2013-01-14, 07:38

Advanced sounds with Thor?

For literally the last day I've been struggling to build a Thor that sends its oscillator output to a mixer (for individual panning) and back to a second Thor to pass through its filters. I essentially want to create one Big Thor with a vastly expanded oscillator count for the purpose of pumping out some wicked dance tunes:

Thor 1
....... Osc 1 ------> \
....... Osc 2 ------> |
....... Osc 3 ------> |
.............................. |
.............................. |----> Mixer ......... Master Thor
.............................. | ....... L ----------> Filter 1 ----> Filter 3 L ----> Audio 1 Out
Thor N ................. | ...... R ----------> Filter 2 ----> Filter 3 R ----> Audio 2 Out
....... Osc 1 ------> |
....... Osc 2 ------> |
....... Osc 3 ------> /

The problem I'm having is that the Thor, while being awesome, is totally non-intuitive and basically an excellent example of why virtually routing cables is a total nightmare. Specifically, I've run into a lot of trouble trying to setup the amp envelopes, and cannot get polyphony working correctly.

I have a combinator controlling the amp envelopes on each Thor (including the master) and have them all set to trigger on gate. When I play a note or a chord everything sounds fine UNLESS I then play and release another note while the first chord is playing. When I do this, the amp envelope for the second note screws up, and the note continues to play without release until it's abruptly cut off.

Firstly, is there any reason why this should happen? Why should the amp envelope not work correctly on the end of the second note? When I'm using a single Thor this isn't a problem, so why would routing sounds make a difference?

Secondly, is there a far more sensible way of producing a sound with many voices? Specifically, I want to create a routing system similar to that used in the Antidote RE, where two oscillators produce sounds using up to 12 wave-forms each (not sure if this is correct nomenclature).