Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2013-03-01, 20:05

Interesting research results about audio compression

http://arstechnica.com/science/2013/...s-sound-worse/

I was always first hearing some kind of "smearing" the lower the bitrate gets before I hear glass noise.. And the fact that you can combine arbitrarily changed FFT packets padded with some zeros again and get the same audio out of it alienated me since I studied.. When I read papers that determined audio only needs a timing resolution of 4ms to be okay I was frightened.. Good to know theres still some research where the aim isn't just to make stuff cheaper

But it in fact means that many other algorithms basing on FFT also require well done QC to supply proper results. q.e.d.