Propellerhead Software
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2013-03-19, 10:52

Is it too late??

I’ve always wanted to dabble in music production. I had an early copy of Reason (3.0) but I never got my head around it. A couple years ago I took a music production course, so upgraded to Reason 5. While I understand music theory very well (I studied music from an early age), understanding Reason and the interface is just something that I seem to have trouble with. And it’s terribly frustrating. I'm really good with computers and technology in general, but Reason is just something that continues to go over my head. Performing what should be simple tasks within Reason, are quite difficult for me. Or understanding the rack (and the bloody wiring!!!!!) is just not clicking with me.

Last night I re-installed Reason 5.01. Bought a new PC a while ago which is very powerful and runs Reason very smoothly. I’ve a midi keyboard too. When it was all isntalled I put down a basic – VERY BASIC – 32 bar loop and I got such a buzz! I was thinking "I LOVE this..". Could have stayed on it all night..

The passion is in me, that’s for sure. Always loved music, and I DJ most weekends. I’m normally a very patient person, but Reason has just left me frustrated and bothered and I tend to throw in the towel more often than not.

I’m going to give it a go again. I work 9-5, so only have some time in the evenings and weekends. I'd like to know your tips, tutorial recommendations, and ideas to get me over this mental block that I clearly have. I think it basically comes down to knowing the application better. Trial and error I suppose!

I love music. You have no idea. And to be able to make a track to be proud of would be sensational. I’m 29 years of age, 30 in August, so am I too late to the party? Look at the likes of Madeon, Porter Robinson.. Kids! I’d love to think I could actually make a name for myself yet!

Cheers guys!