Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2013-03-30, 10:47

MIDI, Balance - any advice gratefully received

Hi guys,

I'm not particularly good with some of the more technical aspects of computer music making so please bear with me.

I currently use Reason 6.5 with an Alesis io2 audio interface. My PC runs on a 3.2GHz Intel i5. Latency is a bit of an issue when recording guitar (I can't come down below about 500 samples without clicks and crackles - delay is 17ms in, 14ms out - and I've got updated ASIO drivers etc). I think I have probably done what I can to reduce latency but, as I said, I'm not the most technical so I may be missing something.

I am looking to upgrade my audio interface. I am very tempted by Balance, especially with Reason 7 coming out soon and the upgrade being free if I buy Balance before 30th April. The only concern I have is that with Reason now supporting MIDI out I would really like to have an interface that provides this as well (which Balance does not). I don't use outboard hardware a lot - most of my music is done either in the box or via audio in. As such, MIDI out is not an absolutely essential part of my setup but it is a feature I use occasionally.

I would be interested to hear if people thought I ought to buy Balance and keep the Alesis for those occasions when I want to use its MIDI features or go for a different interface altogether which handles both Audio and MIDI (e.g. a Focusrite Scarlett or something similar). My main priority is improving my audio recording and reducing latency.

Any advice or help gratefully received.