Propellerhead Software
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2013-04-30, 15:11

Psuedo- backward compatibility

Just wondering before upgrade whether it would be viable to continue to run 6.5.3 along side 7 (if I install 7 to a different folder). I know previous versions wouldn't have beeen an issue but now with the ignition key would both licenses still work?

My brother was one of those who missed out on the upgrade deadline by a few weeks so it's unlikely he'll want to spend money upgrading so soon. Not least until he's familiar enough with 6, like me, to be really excited about the workflow improvements in 7.

We're planning on collaborating and I wasn't planning on upgrading *until* I fell in love with a bunch of the new features. If I can continue to run both copies (not simultaneously, obviously) then I get the best of both worlds. That way I can use R7 for my own stuff and we would still be able to work together within R6 regardless.

It would be really great to have a backwards compatibility feature (auto printing incomptible tracks and retaining 6 format) but I expect that the need would be so rare it'd hardly be worth it. Otherwise if I do upgrade for my own sake we would then only be able to share multitracks, which could get cumbersome.

If the answer is 'if I have to still use 6.5.3 don't upgrade' that'd be a real drag!