Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Music Forum (read only)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2013-05-28, 20:21

Aspiring electronic musician.. unsure how to get started...

I've been playing around with Reason for about 6 months now, and I think I have a reasonable grasp of what each of the instruments and effects do. However, I have 0 music background (other than listening to tons and tons of electronic music over the last 15+ years), and I'm having a hard time translating what's in my head to actual music.

My biggest conundrum is determining where I should invest my time in terms of learning. Play around with Reason until something decent comes out? Trying to emulate other music that I like? Learning to play keyboard? Studying music theory? There are so many different areas that I think might be beneficial, I'm just not sure which I should tackle first.

Any ideas? How did you begin your journey into electronic music production?

I would greatly appreciate any feedback. Thanks!