Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2012-06-28, 03:10
wriotl99

Just getting started with Reason 6.5, have audio recording questions

Hello,
I just downloaded Reason 6.5 the other day. I started out trying FX with iTunes input. [The ads say version 6.5 is compatible with iTunes] I spent about a day and a half solid to figure out how to monitor the "Sample input" without getting a buzz or intense feedback. I researched the forums and found a Q&A about recording audio and the answer was in so many words that "you need Record to record external audio and to Import an audio file instead". It took me only a little while to demo the FX modules and even experiment with sweetening a vocal recording much to my satisfaction after I imported a song into Reason. So I'm very impressed with Reason's sound quality and FX modules.
What I still don't understand is how to input live audio from iTunes on a
Mac Book Pro 15" late 2006 model, OS X 10.5.8, without hearing the dry
audio from iTunes always at 100% plus whatever set level is coming out of Reason, resulting in a slapback delay sound that corresponds with the Latency setting. When I turn up the Sample Monitor level I get more ++ delayed feedback.
How do I monitor and record Only the audio processed by Reason and mute the input audio using only this laptop?
I tried Soundflower as an internal audio software router and I could not switch between Desktop and Reason and back without getting a loud buzz that had to be muted by clicking on the Sound flower icon.
My next experiment was to uninstall Soundflower and use only the Built-In Output of the Mac as the input to Reason.
With this configuration, the Audio Channel Input selection says "There are no audio inputs available".
So at this point I can only conclude that neither the Mac Book Pro iTunes nor any other audio played from the laptop audio players are compatible with Reason or there is still another Core Audio software router app that interfaces to Reason that I don't know about. Soundflower is just not working for me as an interface to Reason so what do I do?

Last edited by wriotl99; 2012-06-28 at 03:17. Reason: additions and corrections