Propellerhead Software
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2013-07-23, 14:40

Smile Advice on external hard drive

Hi,
I've tried googling this and even gone in to an Apple Store to get advice but I'm still confused.
I guess, like many users, I've nearly filled up an internal hard drive. In my case this is a 1TB drive inside an iMAC. The hard drive is full of samples, songs and four Daws (My primary tool - Reason, Logic/Garageband; Live and Studio one).
What I want to do is create more space on the internal drive. To do this I'm thinking of moving my song files to an external drive.
I'm assuming that I need a 7200 rpm external drive on which to place them. I can use either a fw800 port or a USB 2 one
Questions:
1/. Will an external hard drive be fast enough to stream the tracks or would it be better to put samples/refills on the external drive?
2/. Because of the bottle neck at the port, will I see any advantage using a 7200 rpm drive over a 5400 rpm one?
3/. Anyone have any experience of external drives - (any that are best to avoid?)

Any help gratefully received before I pull the trigger on a drive.

Peace

AAMARTYN