Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2013-08-13, 14:21

performance issues with new mac book pro

Hello all,

I'm a long time user of reason and I love the product. However, I've been running into some performance issues recently and I was hoping I could get some good advice.

Im running reason 7 on a mac book pro:

2.5 ghz intel core i5
4 gb 1600 mhz ddr3
osx 10.8.4

500 gb hard drive solid state

my issues are occurring when I have songs with alot of combinators/instruments or when im using songs with Record DrumTakes. Especially when im working with drum takes the machine really bogs down.

So here is what im thinking.

1. buy a firewire 800 external hardrive and use that as my dedicated drive for running reason songs from.

2. use the thunderbolt port for an external harddrive. However, im using this port for a secondary monitor so not sure how good using a thunderbolt hub would be.

3. buy a bigger, faster internal harddrive and upgrade to 8 gbs of RAM.

Im leaning toawrds the firewire 800 external drive. anybody have any input on how to have the fastest, smoothest experience running reason 7 on a mac?

Andrew