Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2013-08-31, 19:56

SSD drive failure rate. Didn't last long not worth the cost.

So about 8 months ago I installed a Samsung SSD drive for operating system ect in a laptop and really enjoyed the performance and quick booting. It made the system fast and snappy. About a year before in another home system I had replaced the HDD with a OCZ SSD as well.

I was contemplating adding one to my Daw system for the Operating system ect. However, after 1 year and 3 months the OCZ died, and 8 months later the Samsung also died in the other system.

I'm really debating if I want to risk putting one in my DAW now as this concerns me of the short life of these SSD drives.

I never ran defrag on either system, as I've read that will shorten the life of them. So seeing as I never did this I just don't think they are up to lasting.

I'm really questioning if they are worth the cost. Two different brands both failed.. I don't know..

My good old trusty HDD in my i7 seems to work just fine and be quick enough for me. But this DAW is strictly for making music, no net, games ect.

any others out there with SSD? How they holding up?