Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2002-09-22, 19:45

For fisherKing (and other Oxygen 8 gurus)

Dear fisherKing,

I've written to both Propellerhead & Midiman tech support about this, but so far have heard back from neither. From your posts you seem to be very experienced with the Oxygen 8/Reason interface, so I'm hoping you may be able to help me solve a problem that's beginning to drive me crazy.

Here goes:

I'm a brand-new owner of Reason 2 and an Oxygen 8. I'm running Reason on an Apple PowerBook G3 w/ OS 9.2.2, and connecting the Oxygen 8 via the USB buss. OMS v2.3.8 is installed, my Studio Setup is complete and functioning, and my Reason MIDI prefs are properly set as well, or so it would seem.

The problem I'm encountering is in the way my Oxygen 8 communicates with Redrum (and *only* Redrum). When I have MIDI directed (via the MIDI icon in Reason's Sequencer window) to any other instrument in the rack, I'm able to play the instrument or trigger a sample just fine - everything is normal. However, when I select Redrum as the recipient of MIDI, pressing an Oxygen 8 key results in a MUTE on the corresponding Redrum channel, and not a sample trigger. Precisely the opposite of what *should* be happening, no?

Moreover, only the Oxygen 8's white keys correspond to Redrum channels - low C to Redrum ch 1, D to ch 2, E to ch 3, etc. The black keys do not correspond to any Redrum channels. I don't know if this is a problem necessarily, or if it's related to the muting problem, but it strikes me as a little odd since, as far as I can tell, all of the other Reason devices respond to the entire (chromatic) Oxygen 8 keyboard.

In my attempts to sort things out I've trashed and then done fresh installs of Reason, OMS, and my Oxygen 8 drivers, but this problem persists. And as I say, every other aspect of my Reason/Oxygen 8 interface seems to work just fine.

Anyhow, I have a sneaking suspicion that the problem is a pretty basic one, and may lie within the Oxygen 8. During my initial exploration of the Oxygen 8's functions Reason was open (& connected via MIDI), and I wonder if I may (without realizing it) have changed something with the slider or a controller knob that would account for this behavior.

I'm a professional recording engineer and I do have a fair amount of experience with sorting out hardware MIDI interfaces. But making my own music with Reason is a whole new world for me, and I don't mind admitting that this Redrum weirdness has got me completely stumped.

For whatever it may be worth, I also use Pro Tools and an MBox, but the Redrum problem persists whether I use the Digidesign driver or the Mac's Sound Manager for my audio output, and whether I'm running Pro Tools in conjuction with Reason, or Reason alone.

Anyhow, if you (or any other Reason/Oxygen 8 owners) could possibly shed some light on what I've done wrong here - as I'm pretty sure this is a case of operator error - I'd be very grateful indeed.

Many thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Tom Durack