Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2002-10-11, 06:18

To Props - Reason is Great (Long Rambling Post)

We've all read posts on this board for the past little while about how Reason should have this or that, or how this sounds harsh or that sounds too quiet. Well, let me tell you, I was subscribing to these opinions and feeling pretty frustrated with Reason(with out even really using it all that much in the past month or so! Just from reading the discussions on this board!). Then Arothman came up with this idea of a challenge where we had to construct a song with limited sound sources. This got me to fire up Reason again (thanks Arothman!) and play around with it. Then tonight I fired up Reason again and started to play around with the effects. Chaining a phaser to a chorus to an eq, for example. This post is getting kind of long but the point I'm trying to make is that after playing around with all of these settings I was able to overcome a lot of my perceived problems with Reason. The phaser was starting to sound the way I wanted it to, after trying different things for almost a year. The reverb setting was full and warm. With eq's (in one case, two chained together) I was able to get some subtle, polished sounds with a professional "sheen". There was no harshness at all. Something else I have been trying to do for a while. Okay, this post is really starting to ramble so let me conclude with a few points:

1) Use eq, maybe even two chained together on every instrument. Try decreasing radically in certain sound spectrums, don't boost

2) Try using very subtle settings on the phaser effect, and while you're at it, try chaining a chorus to it

3) Keep experimenting and trying, it could take a year for a breakthrough in sound and to get really familiar with Reason.

4) Use good monitors and a good sound card at 96Khz

5) Reason is still an exciting kick butt program, leave it alone for a while, and come back to it. The limits are truly your own creativity!

I know this has all been said before but I just wanted to reiterate it in my own words. Thanks for reading.

Regards,

James