Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2003-08-13, 05:48

Feature Suggestion: Going Beyond the Rack

(my apologies if all this has been discussed before...)

First off, I want to state that I LOVE the rack. It was one of the things that first drew me to Reason, and I also think that it is one of the things that makes the learning curve so quick for new Reason users. The concept of setting up virtual instruments and virtual effects on a virtual rack was and is pure genius.

However... when I'm working these days, I'm starting to feel as if the rack is no longer my friend. There is simply TOO MUCH on it. By the time I get halfway through a track, I've got this massive tower of stuff, cords going everywhere - and what had once seemed like a useful visual metaphor now seems like an endless jumble of wires. For Reason 3.0, I hope that the Props might put some energy into re-imagining the rack concept.

Basically, what I want is very simple: to be able to make devices that I'm not using at a given moment go away. I want them out of my face so that I don't have to look at them and can focus on just the devices I'm in the process of editing. Perhaps the best way of accomplishing this would be to allow the user to toggle between multiple racks. You could have one rack assigned to the master mix, another that has a sub mix for drums, another with your synths. All that's needed is an elegant way to route between racks. In a sense, this would be a way of extending the rack concept. After all, hardware racks aren't designed to stack infinitely up to the heavens...