Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2003-12-09, 16:30

Over the weekend my Reason rack got into a fight...

....and the NN-XT came out on top.

I know this may sound crazy, but I've never really experimented that much with the NN-XT. It's usually just load a patch and go. Maybe a couple of fx boxes, but nothing too major. So this past weekend I wanted to do a little experiment.

First I took about 15 seconds from a commercial cd. Whoops, did I just say that out loud? From this small clip I took it into a wave editor and chopped it all to hell, making bass drums, hi hats, small stabs, small loops, etc.

Then I created a Redrum to use for gating the NN-XTs. I took each gate out from the Redrum and hooked it to the gate in on individual NN-XTs. This gave me such unbelievable control over each sample, allowing me to double or triple some of the hits.

After setting up the drums I went to work loading up samples into some NN-XTs and started tweaking. Slow down the pitch on some, speed up the pitch on some. Maybe use the Malstrom to automate some of the settings on the back. Use the NN-XT lfos to control pan and filter.

I worked on 8 bars at a time. 8 bar intro...move over....8 bar piece....move over....8 bar breakdown....move over..8 bar changeup....move over.....etc.

After getting about 130 some bars down, I went back to the beginning and hit play. Needless to say it sounded unlike anything I have ever done in Reason. I might even say that it was one of the coolest things I have ever done in Reason.

So why am I telling you this you ask? I don't know. Maybe i thought it might inspire someone to do a similar experiment and come up with something great. Maybe I've got too much time on my hands. Maybe I'm in love with all of you and I feel the need to share my joys.

Oh and by the way...have I told you (Reason) how much I love you.

-seiche