Propellerhead Software
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2004-04-26, 16:16

** So, you want VST support? **

In case nobody has noticed already, Propellerhead Software make quality products using primarily their own technologies.

If Reason did support VST plugins, consider the consequences - from both the user side and the support side. Opening up the program to 3rd party developers could introduce bugs which are not the fault of the Propellerheads. By keeping things simpler, they avoid much of the headache associated with supporting 3rd party add-ons.

With that said, there seems to be a lot of demand for VST support in a Reason-like application, which is why my own project, a program similar to Reason, will natively support VST plugins.

That means, all devices used within it will be VST plugins. Later, additional plugin formats may also be supported.

However, by supporting VST I face numerous problems such as how to perform automatic routing, remote controller assignments, and how to make it all look nice.

I think I may have found a solution, which allows developers to extend their plugins to support my application (optimize for it), and even to let end users create their own custom interface for plugins, should they so wish.

At present the project remains in design stages until a concrete plan is complete.

I need developers, some GUI designers and some good suggestions. If you think you can help, let me know. There is a contact link on www.silverblade.co.uk

This project does not aim to replace Reason, but aims to provide users with a Reason-like interface for VST plugins.
The Silver Blade website