Propellerhead Software
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2005-02-02, 03:48

Rebirth 3.0

Hi,
I just wanted to give my 2 cents on the future of Rebirth.
In an article I read, it was an interview with one of the owners of Propellerhead, he said that Rebirth is in hibernation, awaiting a possible future upgrade. You got to admit, Rebirth needs some upgrades to keep up with the fast pace of computer music software. Well, I hope that Props are working on or soon to be working on the next update to Rebirth. Here I'm going to list a few features I would like to see in Rebirth 3.0:

-New Synth engine
I'm not saying that Rebirth doesn't sound good, but when rebirth was created, the best pc was a Pentium 2 450mhz. Now with pc's at 3.5 ghz, I'm sure that can be taken advantage of. I believe that all the circuits of the TB-303 can be modeled to even greater accuracy!! And maybe the samples of the TR-808 and TR-909 could be taken to 32 bit 192k!

-Sequencer
A much needed sequencer! You have to admit, programming a song with Rebirth is not easy, and the real pain starts when you are finished with a song and you need to rearrange the song. The #1 reason why I don't use Rebirth in more of my songs than I do is the lack of this feature. Imagine: A separate window with a sequencer with three editing modes- 1 for the creation and editing of individual Patterns for each device. 2 for the arrangement of the patterns of each device over a timeline(you could paint the patterns on a track). 3 for the visual editing of Automation for each function on each device (like on reason). If rebirth had this feature..OH MY GOD!!!

-Modular Environment
Start with an empty rack, add 1 or 2 or 20 TB-303's, then add 4 909's, each with different pitch and decay settings. Then have different effects for each device and have the ability to rearrange the order of the effects. Of course, a modular environment would need a mixer, a mixer with inserts, sends and automation. The only limit to how big your Rebirth setup is, is your CPU.

-More Effects.
Different compressors, tubes, stereo imagers, delays, phasers flangers, EQs, amp models, cabinet models, mic models, choruses, reverbs. All could be used as sends or inserts in the modular setup.

I really don't think my suggestions are way out there and I think of these as necessities rather than "it would be nice if..." features. Rebirth would sell like crazy with these features. Plus all the features I mentioned here have already been done by props: in Reason.
But all in all I would just love to see Rebirth have a rebirth soon!
Jeff