Propellerhead Software
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2005-02-15, 21:35

Advanced Delay - DDL 1000?

Advanced Delay - DDL 1000? - Come on Props! Roll it out!!!

A couple of years ago, I bought a software package, written by another company, which included a double delay effect device. I was amazed by it then, and thought the Props should think about this feature for future versions of Reason. I also have a keyboard module which provide even more types of delay, including Flanger Delay and Chorus Delay etc. - something which Reason hasn?t got yet. The different delay types are included in the parameter list below.

A possible advanced delay device (DDL 1000) could be modelled on the RV 7000 for advanced reverb. It should also have a similar appearance as both of these devices could be used together. Like the RV 7000, there would be a graphic display in a remote programmer with three edit modes, Delay, EQ, and Gate. Most of the parameters would also be displayed in the remote programmer section.

By seeing what the RV 7000 is doing to its predecessor (making the RV 7 seem quite primitive!), one may think that a DDL 1000 could do the very same (if not more!) to the DDL 1. The Props seriously need to do something with the delay effects in Reason. The above concept, with the details listed below, could point to a possible solution:

DDL 1000 Main Panel

The main panel would be broadly the same as for the RV 7000, apart from the device name. Another difference would the provision of a feedback amount control instead of the decay knob. For clarity, a slightly different colour scheme could be used on the DDL 1000.

Remote Programmer Parameters

1) Delay Type
1.1) Normal Delay
1.2) Double Delay
1.3) Stereo Delay, Autopan (i)(iii)
1.4) Flanger Delay, Flanger (i)
1.5) Chorus Delay, Chorus (i)
1.6) Multitap Delay, Multitap (i)
1.7) Phaser Delay, Phaser (i)

2) Initial Delay
2.1) Time (in Milliseconds/Bar Length)

3) Delay Time
3.1) Time (in Milliseconds/Bar Length)

4) Synchronise
4.1) Enabled
4.2) Disabled

5) Feedback Attack
5.1) Attack Time: 0 - 127

6) Feedback Release
6.1) Release Time: 0 - 127

7) Edit Select (ii)
7.1) Primary
7.2) Auxiliary

8) Primary Effect (i)
8.1) Enabled
8.2) Disabled

i. The primary effect (delay) would usually be multiplied by the auxiliary effect (Flanger, Chorus etc.). By disabling the primary effect , the auxiliary effect could be used on a standalone basis.

ii. If Edit Select is set to Primary, the above parameters would be displayed, but if Auxiliary is selected, the parameters for the Autopan, Flanger, Chorus, Phaser, or Multitap effects would be displayed instead.

iii. Autopan, which Reason lacks, is often included with other software packages. It would add greatly to the stereo imaging capability in Reason.

The Remote Programmer Window

About the window itself, the primary effect (delay) could be displayed in the upper half section while the auxiliary effect would be displayed below. I am not fully sure how these effects should be displayed, but listed below are some possible formats for the different effect elements. I presume Time would be measured on the horizontal axis as in the RV 7000, but the possible graph type along with the unit type measurement on the vertical axis are listed.

Delay: Uni-Polar Curve - Volume Amount
Stereo: Bi-Polar Curve - Pan Depth
Flanger: Bi-Polar Curve - Freq. Mod Depth
Chorus: Uni-Polar Curve - Feedback Amount
Multitap: Uni-Polar Curve - Volume Diffusion
Phaser: Bi-Polar Multi Curve - Freq. Mod Depth

Delay and Reverb

To add reverb to the signal, the DDL 1000 could be wired directly to the RV 7000 which then acts as an insert effect. This would diminish the need for a Reverb Delay algorithm. An additional function which links the EQ and Gate settings for both devices would be extremely useful. CV Gate In/Out and CV EQ In/Out connections may be the simplest method.

Let?s do it!

I must mention that the RV 7000 is a brainwave!!! It is so good that I just don?t bother using either the RV 7 or the DDL 1. The Reverb Echo algorithm is a far better and richer effect than what the DDL 1 can produce. But if the DDL 1000 was produced to the same standard and functionality as the RV 7000, it could blow everything away, as far as delay effects are concerned.

About Reason 3.0

By the way, the Mastering Suite rocks!!! I think the final barrier on the road to producing dance tracks entirely within software may soon be broken. Up to now, some producers would use reason with a hardware compressor, but once Reason 3.0 comes on stream, there may be a flood of second hand compressors coming onto the market! The Combinator is also a good concept, but could do with more assignable controls and programming options. The new browser looks like another good idea, but an Up button for the patch browser should be included in the final release (or Reason 3.1 at the latest). It would make things far easier.

Please write in!

If anyone else thinks that a DDL 1000 is a good idea, or has anything to add, don?t be shy! Also, if anyone has seen any flaw in the above, don?t hesitate to point out any wrong thinking, or any pointless overlap with the features in Reason 3.0. Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

Dance FX 21

Ps. Some people have advised me that an advanced delay unit could be made up with several devices in the Combinator. Although using the Combinator option to process advanced delay effects seems like a good solution, and one which I will certainly try out, a compact device such as a DDL 1000 would probably be much tidier and easier to use.