Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2005-06-24, 23:17

Crap hardware of the month: Alesis Photon X25

So I thought this one looked cool, and because I really like my Quadrasynth from Alesis I thought I'd give this neat little controller a try. I ordered from B&H Photo a month a go, which at the time were slightly lower in price than the rest.

So I get it a week later, unpack it, and find that the pitch bend wheel is broken. Crap. Nothing to do but to send it back, and B&H were going to send me a replacement.

Yesterday I got the replacement, unpack it, and....the pitch bend wheel is broken. Double Crap. Not completely broken this time, however - the bending modulation actually works, but it is afflicted with a constant bias, so that when the wheel is in the null position the signal isn't null. You people can probably appreciate how this will really screw you over if you try to use it anyway. I notice that the serial number is different, so it really is a different keyboard they sent me, not the same one.

I have to conclude that Alesis have some serious problems with their quality control, or that the engineering of this Photon X25 model is shite to begin with. Along that line, I also noticed that the noise floor (it has builtin 24-bit audio) seemed really high, you hear a hissing in your headphones if you go through its sound card, basically rendering it useless for audio I/O (although that's not why I was interested in it anyway).

Another minor point, hooking it up to Reason and loading one of the controller presents (e.g. the Subtractor), most of the controller assigments are off (wiht Remote, I thought they should be ok right out of the box?), and I spend a couple of hours reprogramming the Subtractor, Malstrom and NN-XT settings.

All in all, what kind of crap is this?

Worst of all, I don't even need this thing, I have two keyboards already, but I just thought this one looked cool...

Maybe I'm just extremely unlucky, and everybody else are perfecly happy with their Photon X25's. Anybody else have good or bad experiences with this one that they want to share?

/j