Propellerhead Software
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2005-09-26, 22:11

New Review System

Hi,

At the moment, I?m doing fairly quick reviews until I get around to a few people. I?m also working up a new review system, so it?s different to before. I got favourable comments for reviews before the summer so one would think *if it ain?t broke, don?t fix it* - so why fix it then? Well the previous method was very wordy and therefore time consuming. Valuable time was being lost which could be better spent giving more reviews or making more music. Therefore it wasn?t a viable option.

However, the new system will hopefully speed things up and provide more consistency in such ratings. The star ratings remain but the determination of them is to be changed. Most of the mechanism is clear on the example below but the percentage to star rating conversion needs further explaining. It is as follow:

20% to 39.9% = * (Poor)
40% to 54.9% = ** (Fair)
55% to 69.9% = *** (Good!)
70% to 84.9% = **** (Very Good!)
85% to 100 % = ***** (Brilliant!!)
Note: Any score within the top 5 percentage points of a grade will get a plus rating.

START OF SAMPLE REVIEW????????..

Sample Song! - Very Good! (in heading)

Hi,

This is Live Analysis!

I?m only back a few days since the summer and I see many familiar names on the forum including you, so I decided to choose you as my guinea pig for the review system which I have mentioned recently on another thread - so sit tight, here goes!

----------------------------------------

Track: Sample Song! - 4/4 Break Beat @ 130bpm

Aspect: Start / Middle / End (Track Sections) = Aspect Rating (1 to 5 stars)

01) Rhythm: 2 / 4 / 4 = 4

02) Bass-line: 3 / 5 / 4 = 4

03) Content: 4 / 5 / 4 = 4

04) Clarity: 4 / 3 / 4 = 4

05) Balance: 3 / 4 / 3 = 3

06) Continuity: 3 / 3 / 4 = 3

07) Variation: 3 / 4 / 4 = 4

08) Originality: 2 / 4 / 3 = 3

09) First Listen: 3 / 4 / 4 = 4

10) Grow Effect: 4 / 4 / 3 = 4

Total: 37 (max: 50) = 74% (****)

Overall Track Rating: - Very Good!

----------------------------------------

Nice work mate! I definitely like the high end filter sweeps and that overdrive effect on the bass-line blew me out the window. I look forward to hearing more of your work - until then,

Cheers!

Dance FX 21

????????.. END OF SAMPLE REVIEW

So what do you make of it? Are there any aspects that I?ve overlooked or any that are irrelevant? Is the method condescending to artists or is it an acceptable approach? Only you can tell me so that I can get it right before the system goes live. People have given my previous reviews favourable comments in the past so hopefully, I can get the new system right.

I?ll have to leave it there, so any comments or suggestions are welcome - post them either to this thread or to dancefx21@yahoo.com please.

Cheers!

Dance FX 21

Dance FX 21 - SoundClick Music