ReWire Tutorial Article Live - Step 2: Routing Audio
1. Make sure you have Live's Session View up on screen. Activate the I/O section
2. Create an Audio track in Live, from the Insert menu.
3. Activate the I-O button to show the In/Out Section. On the audio track we just created, select Reason from the first drop down menu.
4. Select a ReWire channel from from the drop down right below. Reason has 64 ReWire channels, selectable as either stereo or mono channels - that means you can get up to 64 separate audio channels from Reason. For now, let's activate the first two channels. These correspond to the main stereo out in Reason and appear as "1/2: Mix L, Mix R" in Live.
5. Enable the Monitor In button to be able to hear Reason.
6. Try playing back some sound in Reason.
An easy way to do this at this point is to play a drum pattern from a Redrum device (the more advanced option, playing devices via MIDI, is described in Step 3). When the Redrum is playing you should see the level meters move for the ReWire channel in Live's mixer, and you should hear the sound from the outputs.
If this all works, you have successfully set up a basic ReWire connection! This setup for example allows you to have Reason play a background track while you record vocals or other audio tracks in Live.
But ReWire isn't only about audio. We can also use Live's MIDI capabilities to control Reason's devices, just like you would a hardware synth. If you want to know how to transmit MIDI from Live to Reason – proceed to the next step!
Step 3: Routing MIDI